Saturday, November 3, 2012

#38 anatomy of the lower leg

Ecorche's have been used by artists for many many years. They are used in art schools and in the studios of many accomplished artists. When I was a student at the Academy of Art College (now University) I was fortunate that there was a decent collection of plaster casts of anatomical models, busts, torsos, etc. in the schools collection. The very first drawing class I had to take was a foundations class on drawing. There we studied light and shadow using primarily charcoal on 18x24" white drawing paper and the plaster models were our subject matter. It was a great way to learn. Over the next couple of years at the Academy I became incredible fascinated by the human anatomy. 15 years later here I am with the same passion. For a long time I had wanted to sculpt an ecorche, but hadn't taken the time to do it. With limited time for doing anything anymore this morning I decided I'll never find the time so I have to make the time. And that is what I did. The anatomical leg measures about 9.5" tall including the base and I used a harder clay to allow for more detail. Although it is a work in progress, you can see much of the anatomy is clearly defined. The soleus and gastrocnemius, the tibialis anterior and peroneous longus. Once I finish this I will make a urethane mold in order to cast a harder material, such as resin, forton or plaster. I hope to refine that casting a little further (that the clay won't allow me to do) and then make another mold, this time a silicone mold, and offer castings for sale. Hopefully someone can use this the same way I used the anatomical models back in school.



Anatomy of lower leg (w.i.p.), approximately 9.5" tall by Sutton Betti