Monday, May 20, 2013

#47 "Grace in Motion I" mid-relief

"Grace in Motion I", 22"x16" clay for aluminum

The newest completion in my studio is this mid-relief sculpture of the model Anastasia measuring 22"x16". This is the second relief where I have been conscious of the areas furthest back as being almost flat and barely visible. Admiring some of the reliefs made in the 1800's by Clodion has helped me to understand and express that it isn't necessary to indicate every form. Sometimes the mystery of things adds greatly to the overall feel of a piece. Her left shoulder and upper arm are only slightly indicated and I believe this adds a great amount of life and delicacy that wasn't apparent on my earlier reliefs. This sculpture will get cast in aluminum and displayed in the Loveland Sculpture Invitational 2013.