Tuesday, June 9, 2015

#98, Frank Hoag, Jr... Revised

Frank Hoag, Jr. clay original

Last week I had to change the facial expression on the life size sculpture that will be going to Pueblo Community College later this year. Although I had initially liked the "speaking" expression that the sculpture had, my clients weren't too excited about it. But after a few days I started to like the smile much more. He is more inviting and I think it makes the soon to be bronze monument easier on the eyes. The statue is 80" tall (6 foot 8 inches) and there will be an additional 18" tall solid black granite base that he will stand on making the statue 98 inches tall ( 8 foot 2 inches) and weighing over 1 ton (most of the weight will be in the solid granite). I think looking up a smiling statue will be much less intimidating and more of a welcoming gesture.