Friday, September 1, 2017

#136, Kneeling soldier with folded flag


remembering with folded flag
Kneeling Soldier with Folded Flag, clay for bronze

remembering with folded flag
Kneeling Soldier with Folded Flag, clay for bronze

The kneeling soldier that I made a couple of years ago was designed to have his hand against a wall, head bowed as if remembering a fallen soldier, perhaps a friend. Recently a client asked if I could make one incorporating a folded flag and modifying the arms so he doesn't have to be placed against a vertical wall. I said no problem and cast a plaster of the torso and head (without the arms) so that I could resculpt the new changes. When finished the full figure bronze sculpture will be kneeling in front of a battlefield cross. The folded flag, I believe, will add a touching tribute to a soldier remembering a family member, perhaps his own father.